We want to contribute and succeed fairly and honestly. We do not give, accept, ask for, offer or authorise anything that might improperly influence a decision.
Working with integrity
Corruption & dishonesty
Bribery, corruption and fraud can cause significant harm to OceanaGold and the communities in which we operate. They increase poverty and inequality, hinder development, undermine judicial and political systems and reduce healthy competition. Integrity and accountability are core to our Purpose and Values. We strive to set an example within our communities.
Bribery happens when someone gives, offers or asks for something of value to gain an advantage they are not entitled to.
Fraud involves acting dishonestly to gain an advantage or to cause someone loss.
Corruption is the abuse of position for personal gain.
- Have zero tolerance for bribery and corruption – including bribery of public officials, kickbacks and secret commissions.
- Take care not to do anything that could, or could appear to, compromise our decision-making.
- Award work fairly, transparently and based on legitimate processes.
- Promptly report anything which we think could be a bribe, corruption or fraud, including attempted bribery and fraud.
- Keep records and obtain receipts for all legitimate payments we make.
- Bribes do not need to be money; they include anything of value. In some cases, they can be favours, gifts, entertainment, travel or donations.
- ‘Local custom’ is not a reason to pay a bribe – every bribe hurts someone.
- Small bribes are still bribes – even facilitation payments (such as a payment to a government official to unofficially speed up a process).
- Asking or suggesting someone else does it – if a supplier pays a bribe from which we benefit this is also wrong.
- Falsely claiming expenses, time worked, or work done.
How does this look? Could this be seen as an attempt to influence someone improperly?
Do I know what our suppliers do on our behalf?
Do I know what I am being asked to pay for or why?
If in doubt, get advice from Business Integrity or Group Legal before you act.
Please contact the Business Integrity team or Group Legal team if you require any assistance.
Please also review the OceanaGold Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Policy for more information.
Working with Integrity
Working with integrity means doing the right thing even when no one is watching. It also means doing what we say we are going to do.
We handle insider information responsibly and do not engage in insider trading. We do not use confidential or insider information for personal gain for ourselves or others.
Giving & receiving
We contribute and build relationships through mutual respect and transparency. Giving and receiving must never improperly influence ours or others’ decisions.
Conflicts of interest
We take care that our decisions in our work are not influenced by interests which could conflict with OceanaGold’s.
We collect, use, store and dispose of personal information responsibly and legally.
We protect and respect OceanaGold’s assets and use them only for proper business purposes.