We strive to create a positive legacy in the communities where we operate by building relationships and partnerships that deliver sustainable outcomes.
Working with others
What we do has the potential to change communities. We can be a positive force, improving livelihoods and creating and sharing opportunities.
We want to be a good neighbour and are committed to acting responsibly and respecting local cultures.
- Listen and respond transparently, respectfully and collaboratively.
- Make an effort to get to know local communities and try to understand their interests and expectations as well as the impacts of what we do.
- Respect different cultures including their relationship with the land, water and natural resources.
- Provide communities with a transparent and accessible process for concerns, complaints and grievances.
- Respect the information given to us by communities.
- Provide appropriate training to people who are engaging with communities.
- Not hearing or respecting community views.
- Making assumptions or decisions on behalf of communities without testing it with them.
- Not understanding our biases or considering the cultural norms of communities.
- Not considering the potential secondary impacts of our activities – those that may occur later or at a different place including changes to people’s lives, local resources and infrastructure.
- Our engagement is not planned or resourced correctly and does not deliver value to the community.
- Not following our standards and requirements before we offer or approve sponsorships or donations.
- Not having the right processes to appropriately monitor and respond to community issues or concerns.
Do I know enough about local communities? E.g. how the local community makes decisions and what the community wants for the future.
Do I know the positive and negative impacts on others before I start my work?
Do I have the right training to engage with communities?
Am I authorised to represent OceanaGold at community events or in public forums?
Working with others
Our communities and environment are key to our success.