We commit to respect human rights in all our interactions.
Working with others
Everyone has human rights – they include the right to family life, political participation and choice of religion, among others.
Our activities, and those of our suppliers, impact people wherever we operate. The positive impacts can include providing a safe workplace, paying employees a fair wage and improving access to education and health care in host communities.
We also recognise that poor decisions can have negative impacts and we seek to prevent these or fix them if they occur.
We are committed to respecting the human rights of all people directly and indirectly impacted by our operations. We all have a role in upholding human rights and identifying potential human rights risks.
- Treat people with respect and decency.
- Take time to understand what human rights means.
- Say something when we see behaviours or situations that threaten human rights.
- Listen and learn from our stakeholders to understand how our decisions impact them.
- Follow our processes to respect human rights in our activities.
- Complete any human rights training and understand how it applies to our work.
- Expect our suppliers to respect and uphold human rights, including not engaging in or contributing
to modern slavery.
- Follow our grievance processes.
- If we find an issue, consider the needs of those impacted first, working to resolve issues fairly and transparently.
- Thinking human rights are only an issue in “other countries”.
- Making decisions too quickly or without understanding the impacts on others.
- Ignoring or not speaking up about potential issues because they are “not my problem”.
- Only considering the financial (and not the human cost) when making supplier decisions.
- Not taking a complaint seriously because we have not tried to understand the issue.
How does my decision impact others?
Is this how I would want to be treated?
Even if I believe I am doing the right thing, could others see it differently?
Working with others
Our communities and environment are key to our success.